Monday, January 20, 2014

Quick Tatted Baby Gifts (socks)


Just thought I'd share with you one of my favorite quick gift ideas for tatting.
 
This started when one of the doctors at work gave birth to twin girls.  Their last name was 'Lacey'.  With a name like that, I felt compelled that those babies needed some sort of lacey gift.  But as always, I was short on time for the project.
 
So I went to Target and bought a very basic package of baby socks.  Just checked a week ago and the socks are called 'Bobble Socks' and come 6 pairs for $6.29. 
 
I have all kinds of beautiful variegated baby-colored threads to choose from.  The one I did choose is a Manuela, size 20.
 
The pattern is a simple ring/chain pattern.  I left the shuttle thread attached to the ball while working.
 
The sock top has cables that I used to judge where to attach the center of the ring to.  I joined to one cable, skipped one (same side) and then joined to the second cable.  The only joins are to the sock itself.  I just hooked a few threads of the base of the sock edge and joined that way....little to no fuss!
 
THE PATTERN
 
 
* Ring:  2 - 2 - 2 + 2 - 2 - 2 (to the sock edge).
RW.
Chain:  2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2  (or 3 - 2 - 2 - 3).
RW.  **
Repeat from * to ** until desired length.
Cut & Tie.
 
Abbreviations:
- ='s picot
+ ='s join
RW = Reverse Work
 

Note:  The edging in this picture does not match my pattern.  This was my prototype sock and after creating this one, I realized that the chains were not big enough to allow for stretch of the sock.  So my pattern corrects this and uses 10 DS's total (instead of the 8 DS in this picture). 
I gave away all the 'good' socks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment