Wednesday, January 22, 2014

3 Ways to Tat (the 2nd portion of) a Split Ring

Before I go any further in introducing the great YouTube videos of Split Ring Tatting Technique, I need to stop and point out the 3 ways to tat the second portion of a split ring.  I have a chapter on this in my book Fun with Split Ring Tatting

I mention the SECOND PORTION of the Split Ring.  This is the UNIQUE part of the Split Ring that is new and different compared to regular, traditional tatting technique of the first portion of the split ring.  It is the part that experienced tatters have to retrain their fingers (& minds) to create the double stitches:  both in the order of the half stitches are used to create a double stitch & in the fact that the half stitches are not 'flipped'/transferred.

There are 3 various ways to physically hold the ring to more easily create the 2nd portion.  This is where many tatters find that tatting split rings is uncomfortable. 

Historically 2 ways have been recognized:  1.  Take the ring off the hand, turn the work around (basically 'turn' it), and then put it back on the hand.   2.  The 'Dead Spider' Method in which the ring hand is turned so that the the fingers are pointing up (from the dead spider joke) to bring the area of thread that the 2nd portion, untransferred stitches are to be made on.

I have introduced a third way/approach to easily work the 2nd portion stitches:  Bring the lower area of the ring thread (from the base of the ring where the 1 DS is, then extending down and counterclockwise from the base) UP onto the top of the ring index finger. (I really need an illustration/photo to introduce this approach! KB)  This brings the ring thread up into the area that is comfortable to create DS's and is more recognizable a working approach than the dead spider method and takes less time to set up that the 'take off the hand, turn work, put back on hand' method.\

As I go through the published YouTube SRT videos, I will point out which technique is being used.  If my method of working is now represented by the published videos, I MAY consider doing my own demo video....but I'm not really looking forward to that task.

Now when you view the Split Ring Tatting YouTube videos, you may have a better understanding about the technique that that author/demonstrator is using.  Thus you have a better chance at finding the method that works best for you!  Just like any other working technique in tatting, it is not so much how you do something....it is just important in getting the technique/task done.

No comments:

Post a Comment