Tuesday, August 20, 2013

MORE Fun with SRT--Book #2 Themes

Just wanted to inform about my new book coming out yet in 2013. 

This new book will not have all the 'introduction to Split Ring Tatting Technique' that Book One did.

It will have a chapter on how to create Split Rings and Take-Off-Rings by way of Needle Tatting Technique.

The book actually has a couple of themes:
  1. Fun with Color---Many of the designs use two (sometimes more) colors in one piece. 
  2. Tesselation---(you get a free math lesson in this book!)
A tessellation is created when a shape is repeated over and over again covering a plane without any gaps or overlaps.  Another word for a tessellation is a tiling.
 
When you fit individual tiles together with no gaps or overlaps to fill a flat space like a ceiling, wall, or floor, you have a tiling or a tesselation.
 
A brick wall is a form of tesselation.
 
Tesselation as Applied to Lacemaking/Tatting
In the definition of Tesselation, there are 'no gaps or overlaps' in the formation of a pattern. 
 
This is directly contrary to lacemaking, where we have spaces (gaps) of 'air/nothing' with thread around them to make a 'lacy' appearance. 
 
Some of my SRT designs are true tesselations.   But I have also manipulated the basic design elements to create 'Lace-Tesselations'---possibly a new science/form.
 
My Lace-Tesselation Study started one day about 10-15 years ago when I looked down at the pants I was wearing at the time.  They were a tiny houndstooth print.  At that moment (when I should have been working), I realized that I could recreate that pattern in tatting.  This is what I called my Houndstooth design.  From there I started noticing other patterns in things around me.  I have been known to go up to strangers in coffee-shops and ask them if I could sketch the design on their purses.  I pull out scrap pieces of paper from my purse to sketch in stores.  It wasn't until the last year that I knew that these design ideas had the name of tesselation.  
 
I have stated before, when I can't have a tatting shuttle and thread in my hand (such as at work) I fill my spare time with designing on graph paper.  I have two Design Notebooks with enough SRT designs to fill 4 60-page books!!!  The problem I have is keeping up with tatting the models.  It is something that I love to do....but at times it is a bit overwhelming, knowing how many pieces that are yet to be done.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment